Disaster Recovery Assistance
Latest grants announced for storm and flood impacted LGAs
The NSW and Australian Governments have announced assistance measures to support people who have been impacted by the March 2021 storms and floods.
Assistance is now being provided to 63 local government areas in NSW through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).
Visit the RAA’s Declared Natural Disasters webpage for a full list of eligible LGAs.
Service NSW Disaster Assistance Finder
Assistance for areas affected by severe storms and floods in NSW https://disasterassistance.service.nsw.gov.au/
Financial and Business Recovery Support
Primary producers recovering from the devastating impacts of floods are receiving vital support, with Special Disaster Grants of up to $75,000 announced today.
These grants will be available early next week at which time information will be available on eligibility and how to apply.
The RAA Disaster Assistance webpage will be updated as information becomes available.
Small Business Grants
Grants of up to $50,000 will be available next week for small business owners and not-for-profit organisations through Service NSW. For more information contact the Disaster Customer Care Service on 13 77 88 or visit www.service.nsw.gov.au/.
Disaster Recovery Allowance
Disaster Recovery Allowance (DRA) is a short-term payment to help you if a declared disaster directly affects your income.
Disaster Recovery Payment
One-off financial assistance for individuals at a rate of $1000 per eligible adult and $400 per eligible child. Claims for this payment can be lodged with Services Australia for a period up to 6 months.
- Payment claims can be made at identified LGAs. You can find your local council for support and assistance at:
- List of identified LGAs https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/newsouth–wales–floods–march–2021–australian–government–disaster–recoverypayment
- For more information on eligibility criteria, visit the Services Australia website or contact the Australian Government Information Hotline on 180 22 66 for claims assistance.
- Disaster Relief Loans – Small business and non-profit organisations https://www.raa.nsw.gov.au/disaster–assistance
Loans of up to $130,000 at a fixed concessional interest rate may be available to small businesses, primary producers and non-profits (subject to certain eligibility criteria) that have been directly impacted.
Help from your financial institution
WESTPAC CUSTOMER SUPPORT:
- Flood Support Fund of up to $10 million to help customers in flood-affected areas across New South Wales and South-East Queensland, including emergency grants of $3,000 for households, and $5,000 for businesses.
- Extension of emergency assistance package to customers and businesses in flood-affected areas in South-East Queensland, in addition to the support announced for New South Wales residents over the weekend.
- Disaster Help Hub, com.au/disasterhelp has more information. I’d appreciate your assistance to ensure your affiliated Business Chambers in other states are aware of the help available from Westpac.
The major banks and others have announced special support for flood-affected clients. Contact your institution for further details.
Tax obligations for businesses impacted by the floods
Support services available for small business owners
- Get back to business – a guide to recovering from disaster https://www.smallbusiness.nsw.gov.au/resources/get–back–business–guiderecovering–disaster
Disaster Response Legal Service NSW – 1800 801 529
Insurance – ICA’s disaster hotline– 1800 734 621
The Insurance Council of Australia (ICA) has declared a Catastrophe for large parts of NSW following the devastating storms and flooding of the last few days.
The ICA’s Catastrophe Declaration serves to escalate and prioritise the insurance industry’s response for affected policyholders.
The ICA hotline assists policy holders if they are uncertain of their insurance details or have general inquiries about the claims process. (Please note: this is not a claims lodgement area). For more information:
The information on this page has been compiled from various sources; thank you to those organisations assisting to distribute recovery information: Business NSW, Rural Assistance Authority, Boosting Local Care Workforce, NORTEC Business Connect Team